Prepare for Virtual Organizing with the First Virtual Session Checklist below!
GET YOUR SUPPLIES READY
- Please have contractor bags on hand: They can be found at hardware stores or on Amazon here
- Save boxes and bags for a few weeks: If we will be doing books or komono, please try to save cardboard boxes and plastic grocery bags for several weeks so we can use them for packing heavier books and fragile items for donation
GET YOURSELF READY
- Eat a nice big meal: We’ll be working hard for 1-5 hours, with short breaks as needed. I’ll be bringing snacks for myself, so no need to worry about me 🙂
- No need to clean up! It’s helpful for me to see your space in its “natural state” so that you can really help me see what’s working and what’s not
- Reduce potential distractions: finding what Sparks Joy® takes a lot of focus. Make sure you have a window of 1-3 hours free from phone calls, interruptions, etc. so you can make the most of your time
- Set aside your unmentionables: If there are any items that are particularly delicate or private, feel free to set them aside in a private place
SET UP YOUR ORGANIZING SPACE
- Test your video camera, sound, and WIFI connection: Please check that your camera and sound are functioning properly on your device. Try to set up in a room with a stable WIFI signal.
- Find a spot to place your video camera/laptop before sessions: This should be a place where I can see you and what we are organizing. I recommend a high spot like the top of a dresser or shelf where you can point the camera to see your organizing space.
- Have your cell phone ready: You will take before and after photos to document our journey together! Please send these to Nicole at the end of each session.
- Designate three bags/bins ready for sorting items:
PREP FOR THE FIRST CATEGORY
I always recommend starting with the easiest category: clothing. Clothing is something we use and touch daily. It is a great place to rediscover what sparks joy and to practice letting go. If there’s another more concerning category you’d like to work on please let me know.
Find ALL of your tops throughout your home in every closet, storage bin, car, and drawer. Please take ALL tops out of hiding! This includes: shirts, blouses, sweaters, workout shirts, and work tops.
Make a pile of ALL the tops on your bed or where we will be organizing together. If this category isn’t that big you can include jackets, hoodies, and other outdoor tops.
During our clothing sessions we will tackle one category at a time. This differs slightly from what you’ve seen on Marie Kondo’s show, as she usually has clients pile all clothes at once. I find breaking down the pile into smaller categories is much more manageable and achievable. A pile of 1-2 categories still allows clients to have that “WOW” moment.
GET YOUR MIND READY
- Think of the reasons you want to tidy: What do you hope to gain from tidying? Why now? Be honest with yourself and present in the moment. Every item you own should add value and make life easier today.
- Be prepared to share your ideal lifestyle: Envision what a whole day at home will look like once you tidy up and have everything organized. This image includes: your physical environment, how you feel in your home and how you spend your time. Visualize it in detail, after all this is your dream life! We will begin session one with a short discussion about what this looks and feels like.
- Feeling a little extra?: Read about How to Keep and Discard items through the Joy Checking Process.
- Please do not take out anyone else’s clothing (including husbands/kids.) I’m happy to schedule another session to help a family member organize!
- Be mindful of your energy levels & don’t be afraid to say “I need a break.” Shorter sessions with many breaks will help keep your motivation up without feeling burned out and overwhelmed.
- Have fun and don’t overthink it.
- Nicole is here to support you and your goals!