Learn how to declutter, organize, and maintain duplicates with our step by step guide!
What are the pain points?
- Having too much of the same thing
- Buying items and then realizing you already have them
- Wasting money by buying what you don’t need
- Losing time by searching for items and then rebuying when you can’t find them
What are the causes?
- Items do not have a designated home (place of belonging)
- Like-items are stored in multiple places
- Items are stored in inconvenient places – too high, far back, or out of sight
What is the solution?
Step 1: Joy Check Duplicates
Step 2: Designate a Home for the item(s)
When picking a location, pick a place that is:
- Flows with your daily routine and lifestyle
Step 3: Pick a place to Store and Display
- Bin/Basket/Bowl on a counter
- Basket/Bin on a shelf
- Hook on the wall
- Rack on the wall
- Designate a drawer
- Box on bottom or top shelf
Step 4: How to Store and Display
- Organize items horizontally instead of vertically
- The goal is to see everything instantly
- The location and way it is placed is easy to get, put back, and maintain
Step 5: Practice and Repeat Habits
- Try finding and putting items back regularly for 7 days
- When you shop, be mindful of what have.
With a functional and organized system it is easy to take inventory and buy only what you need and truly want.
Step 5: Adjust and Evaluate
You know you need to readjust your system if:
- You start to accumulate more of the same things
- Your storage space can’t accommodate the amount you have
- You buy more than what you use and need