How to organize sentimental items and showcase joy in your home
Why do I have so many keepsakes?
- We hold onto items to remember and cherish the past
- When we see and feel these items we relive moments in the past
Remember & Reframe
- Truly special memories never die, even when we discard items associated with such events.
- The joy and excitement of the here and now is more important than holding onto something from the past, only to forget about it.
- The boxes we store in the attic, back of the closet, under the bed often remain there, untouched.
- When we store sentimental items away they become a weight from our past that holds us back from moving forward in the present.
- The space in our home is for the person we are and want to become, not who we were in the past.
- Organize sentimental photos now and display them throughout your home or in a photo album to enjoy for the rest of your years.
The Guide to Organize Sentimental
- Remove all photos from albums and boxes
- Joy Check photos one by one
- Try to keep only five photos per a trip/event
- Very important photos don’t often have duplicates
- Keep scenery photos when you can identify the trip/event
“The meaning of a photo lies in the excitement and joy you feel when taking it. In many cases, the prints developed afterward have already outlived their purpose.”The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Marie Kondo
- A letter fulfills it’s purpose the moment it’s read
- The person who wrote it has long forgotten the existence of the letter, its content, and has moved on.
- Keep it if it truly sparks joy
- Be courageous and say goodbye if
- you held onto this item because of a sense of guilt
- it sparked joy in the past but doesn’t spark joy in the present
- adds joy to who you are today, not who you were
- the items served its purpose in your life and by letting it go, frees more space in your home and mind for today and tomorrow
- Stuffed animals feel like they have souls. They were with us in our fondest childhood memories.
- If it sparks joy for you to hold and see – Display it on a shelf or in your closet
- If you choose to discard a stuffed animal it helps to cover the eyes.
How to Joy Check
- Step 1: Pile all sentimental items
- If you have many photos, it’s okay to create a separate pile of just photos
- Step 2: Pick one item that undoubtedly sparks joy
- If you keep it, where will it be stored?
- Will you display it so you can see and enjoy it?
- Ask yourself honestly, does it bring you joy today and in the future?
- Does this item help you cherish who you are now?
- Step 3: Place items in Keep, Donate, or Trash
- Step 4: Display keepsakes on walls and shelves to spark joy every day!
- Step 6: Have the courage to let go & say thank you
When we display sentimental items we remember and celebrate who we were. We are also reminded of who we are now and who we strive to be.
- Hang sentimental photos on the wall to look at it
- Display sentimental items to spark joy daily
What sentimental item do you display proudly in your home?
Client’s receive up to 25% off at The Container Store!
“By handling each sentimental item and deciding what to discard, you process your past. If you just stow these things away in a drawer or cardboard box, before you realize it, your past will become a weight that holds you back and keeps you from living in the here and now.”
– The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Marie Kondo